Someone recently asked us, “Why would we book with African Portfolio? What sets you apart?” It’s not always easy answering something so personal, because working here is personal. We really love what we do. But here’s a stab as to why we think we really are the best luxury safari operator out there!
- We are all Africans at African Portfolio and we all have family living in Africa. This gives us a unique insight into the destinations we sell, as both locals and visitors. We know how long it takes to get from the Victoria Falls to the Okavango Delta. We understand what it feels like to fly from New York to Kilimanjaro. We can recommend restaurants because we’ve eaten there, camps because we’ve stayed there, hikes to take because we’ve walked there, and places to see because we’ve been there.
- We care deeply about Africa, so when you book your safari with us we give you practical travel guidelines that underscore the importance of low-impact travel. We will encourage you to be mindful that you are a guest in Africa, not just a photo-snapping visitor. We respect Africa, its animals and people and we expect you will too. Social interaction with local communities is a key component in many of the safaris we sell.
- The local guides we choose to work with are the best in the business. They’re not only seasoned environmentalists but also cultural ambassadors. This means you’ll be learning as much about the Maasai in Tanzania as you will about the migrating wildebeest. You can ask questions about the latest elections and easily switch to the average lifespan of a dung beetle.
- We genuinely take pride in our customer service. We know that planning a trip to Africa requires a lot of investment and we aim to make sure our clients receive very high returns. We understand that choosing camps and lodges can be confusing, we’ve stayed at all of them, we can help. We explain everything that needs to be taken care of, from visas to insurance and inoculations. We prepare and provide individually tailored travel documents with information pertaining only to specific clients’ particular trips. This means our clients are consistently the “best prepared” when they arrive in Africa.
- At African Portfolio, we customize our clients itineraries with the skill that a combined experience of over 50 years in the Africa travel business brings. If you fancy an adventure, we can share our personal stories of walking safaris, canoeing, rafting and much more. Enjoy gourmet food and wine? No problem, we have lots of insider tips on restaurants and wineries and know the best foodie lodges in the business.
We are all dreamers, adventurers and romantics, let us share our Africa with you!