As the festive season approaches, rounding out the strangest year in our lifetimes, we are all turning our eyes towards 2021 and the desire to travel.
Many of us have been based at home for months and have been learning to declutter our lives, streamlining our homes and dreaming of experiences rather than things. We have celebrated holidays and milestones such as birthdays and anniversaries without friends and family or via Zoom. As a result we are just longing for time together outside our “bubble”.
Why not give your loved ones a travel experience to look forward to! The memories of such a journey will last long past the experience. We can help you wrap your gift of travel with a personal African Portfolio touch, so give us a call to discuss your plans. Here are just a few reasons why you should surprise and delight someone special with the gift of travel to Africa:
- Bucket list destinations. Have you longed to see the great migration in Tanzania, observe the endangered mountain gorilla up close in Rwanda, or glide on a canoe through the waters of the mighty Zambezi in Zambia? For many, an African safari is the dream trip. If 2020 taught us anything it’s that we shouldn’t delay our dreams to visit the continent’s most beautiful (and remote) destinations.
- Keep in mind that planning for a safari is generally done 6-18 months ahead. A trip is the perfect gift to allow recipients something wonderful to anticipate in the coming months. Alternatively, whisk your loved one off somewhere last minute – many countries have reopened, with stringent Covid safety measures in place. We can help you navigate through all the entry requirements and available options.
- Social distancing has meant months of being separate from family and friends. An African safari offers a perfect opportunity to reconnect and spend time together. Safari camps are small and intimate – some small enough to book out completely. Friends looking for a combination of urban and safari exclusivity can make use of properties’ stand-alone villas, as highlighted in our Exclusive South Africa itinerary.
- The Ultimate Family Gift. Whether you are a small family unit or a large multigenerational group, a safari has something for everyone. In addition to game drives, enjoy a multitude of activities. Whilst they vary from country to country and lodge to lodge, activities may include bush walks and tracking in the Heart of Botswana, or night drives and horseback riding in diverse South African landscapes. We can incorporate other activities such as cycling, arts and crafts or cultural visits, as this Botswana & Zimbabwe itinerary highlights. Kids can learn to identify spoor (poop!) and track wildlife, become a warrior in Kenya and have the chance to learn about cultures very different from their own.
- Conservation and giving back – in giving the gift of travel, you are also giving indirectly to the natural world, wildlife destinations and the communities that surround them. The world is truly an interconnected place – travelers can positively impact the destination they are visiting whilst enjoying a magical travel experience. Many properties actively promote their eco-friendly practices and travelers will love spending time in the wide-open spaces, completely alone with nature. Travelers can also opt to bring donations – e.g children’s books, school suppliers, first aid supplies – to donate to the surrounding communities.
As you start to consider travel plans for 2021 and beyond, consider gifting your loved ones a travel experience with African Portfolio. It will be unforgettable.